Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, April 07, 2008

Vacation All I Ever Wanted, Vacation Have to Get Away...

AUGUSTA, GA. - Despite the poorly reproduced Go-Gos lyrics above, I did not, in fact, get a vacation this weekend. I drove through TWO hail storms and a microscopically close near-collision with a boat pulling pickup truck who wasn't watching where he was going. He only missed my car because I pulled off the road quickly. He ended up hitting the van in front of us. I got out of the car to check on them, getting pounded by hail and driving rain, only to have them jump out and start cursing at each other. In other words, they were just fine. I drove on.

So my visit with my family was to be relaxing. But all I did was work and worry. I didn't have the right gift for my nephew's birthday party. I was going to have to miss the party because of work. I couldn't spend enough time with Emerson because I was cooking and doing dishes and cleaning and fixing my parents' computers. I wasn't getting enough sleep and I was going to be useless at work on Monday. What kind of trouble was Scott getting into while I was gone? Was he getting enough sleep? Was he missing us?

So I left a little early on Sunday. Traffic was speedy, but not reckless (thank you many state patrol officers!). Emmie slept from Madison to Walton Way. When I got home... disaster.

I don't understand how I can go out of town for two days (48 hours, people!), leave a normal-looking house behind and return to a complete wreck? How can he not do the dishes for two days? Why is the laundry piled on top of the dryer? Why is there a crapload of dirt on the floor? Where does the dirt come from? He's not Swamp Thing, for crying out loud!

(Sigh)

I picked up as fast as I could, tossed some dirty laundry in the washer, swept Emmie back into the car and did the grocery shopping, got her home and settled in, then flew back down to work to lay out calendar pages and load reviews to the website. I was at work until 11:15, came home and comforted my husband after he learned that the daughter of a friend of his had died that morning. I was up at 6:15, out the door by 7:30, and went and paid the rent because Scott didn't do it this weekend.

I needed a break. I haven't had a day off since September of last year. I didn't get one. It will be the end of May before I can use my final week of vacation. You'd better believe that I'm taking a break then. Scott will be on Baby Watch for a couple of days while I go out and have fun with friends.

The difference? He'll never have to pick my underwear up out of the floor when he comes back home.

0 comments :

Post a Comment