Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

At the Clubhouse at the Augusta National, during the Masters Tournament

/

AUGUSTA, GA. - Kelley New, of Kelley New Interiors in Augusta, Ga., tells us: In 1983, I was living in Augusta for a short time. I had a close friend that worked deliveries for Leonard’s Florist, and he happened to mention that he delivered flowers to the clubhouse at the Masters.

I couldn’t believe I knew someone that had even been in the clubhouse. I asked if there was a possibility that I could go with him on a delivery, just to see the clubhouse. He said all the deliveries had been made.

I guess he saw how disappointed I was and said, “Oh, hell.” He grabbed a vase and threw some flowers in it. “Come on. I’ll show you the Masters clubhouse.”

The guard waved us in because he recognized my friend’s old ratty VW bus. We parked at the front, passed the security and the lady at the desk said, “More flowers, huh? Just put them wherever you think is best.”

We sat the flowers down somewhere randomly and he said, “Let’s go out under the big oak tree.”

It’s so elegant out there under the tree with the white tablecloths. And, of course, you can’t pay for anything when you’re under that area. That’s strictly for club members.

A man came and asked what we would like to drink, so we ordered two mint juleps. By now I am telling my friend that we need to get the hell out of here before we get locked up. But he said, “No. They wouldn’t dare say anything to us now that we’ve gotten this far.”

They enjoyed a second drink, decided that was enough adventure for one day and left. Wonderful memories, for sure.

0 comments :

Post a Comment