Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'm not the only one writing about you, dude.

AUGUSTA, GA. -
From:
Tim McDonald [mailto:tim@worldgolf.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:42 PM
To: Stacey Hudson
Subject: Re: Story on Augusta

Feeling pretty good about yourself, aren't you? [Nope. Sent along the link to the story because it wouldn't have been fair for him to find it when he randomly googled himself.]

I wonder why the snide tone in your column wasn't there when you were talking to me. You sounded like you wanted to be my best friend. [I'm just friendly like that] Could you be a bigger phony? [Yeah. I could make up shit for WorldGolf.com] I've had to do this sort of thing occasionally and never once did I suck up to the person who made the mistakes. [Since when does polite equal sucking up?]

Mistakes are often made in daily journalism. It happens. [Yes. It does. But you said this column was written a week ago, and it didn't post until today. How 'daily' is that?] Usually when this happens, people who catch them pick up the phone or e-mail and point them out. We change them. [Please do. But three hours later, the wrong version is still up.]

You people in Augusta must be unusually touchy, preferring the ambush technique. [Meh. Perhaps. It's also possible that we people in Augusta don't like lazy people who lie.]

Did you ever think about just being honest with me and upfront about why you were calling? Pointing out these mistakes so they could be corrected? [Yes. I pointed them all out to you... all dozen or so. Your response was - and I quote - "bummer."]

I guess not. You wanted fodder for your silly column, which was by the way about as "homer" as you can get (If you're a journalist you know the term). ["homer": a term used to describe someone who is so biased for the home that he can't see the other side. Used almost exclusively by sports journalists. Does it apply here? Maybe... if by "home team" he means "correct" and if by "other side" he means "incorrect."]

Well, you got it. For the 10 or 20 people who must read it. Thanks. [Actually, our online circulation is about 15,000 a week. But I guess that must pale in comparison to "world" golf.]

1 comments :

  1. Another 2 hours later, it's still up. Glad the good folks at World Golf and MSNBC are so concerned about accurate stories.

    ReplyDelete