Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, April 11, 2008

Lo, in the West, it is The Bearded One

AUGUSTA, GA. - A.W. gasps.
"What?" I ask.
"George Michael is playing Atlanta," she says.
"Ooh, I think my friend Penny and I should go," I say.
"If you go, I wanna go!" she says.
"Cool! Let's get passes!"

Inside, I was dying. How can I tell A.W. that I don't really want to go see George Michael the same way she wants? I don't have some hipster irony at work here.

Without revealing too many unfortunate things about my psyche, I really like "Father Figure." And "Faith." And... Okay, not to much "Wake Me Up (before you go go)," but that's okay.

Look! He's wearing a COSBY SWEATER!

Because it was before G.M.'s solo career. Wham! really was just, like, his Campbell's soup commercial before the big film debut, you know? Anyway. I really, really like "Freedom."

In fact, I saw Georgia Michael once before in Atlanta, at the old Atlanta Stadium before it was blown up. We had seats up in the nosebleeds, and George Michael was this big. It was tragic for a 13-year-old. But I still bought a T-shirt.

And while I wouldn't buy a T-shirt at this show - unless, you know, it was a REALLY COOL T-shirt, I would still sing along with the lyrics. At least, the ones I can remember.

0 comments :

Post a Comment