Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, April 04, 2008

Setting an Example About Objectivity for Future Journalists

AUGUSTA, GA. - So I've made several guest appearances at my alma mater these last couple of weeks, each time in front of people from about the same area of study: communications, journalism, public relations, and more. It's hard to come up with something new to say every time, but I try to change it up. We got off a little in one class when the professor talked about her area of scholarship.

"There aren't many who specialize in the Civil War press," she said.
"Really? I'd have thought there'd a bunch of interest in that," I said, genuinely surprised. We are in Georgia, after all.
"Nope. Just two of us," she laughed.
"Huh..." I mused.
"They're all out getting dressed up in costumes," one student volunteered with a grin.
"Oh, out losing the war again?" I laughed. "What can they possibly think is going to happen?! Yeah, that's a productive use of time."

1 comments :