Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Soon to be Unemployed

I am at the design dept., which is not so much a department as it is an area of the giant room where everyone can hear you no matter how quiet you are (AMBER!!!), and in this area three desks form a semicircle. There. It's a department. Anyway, so that's where I am.

"Hey, anyone want to order lunch with me?" I ask.
(silence)
"Guys?"
(silence)
"Helloooooo...?"
Finally Ryan looks up. "Huh?"
"Yeah. Lunch. Order. Whatcha want?"
A chorus of answers.
"Beer." "Sleep." "Lobster."
"Lobster?!" (It says something about our workplace that luxury fine food is the entry that surprises me.)
"Mmmm..." Bob reminisces. "Two-pound steamer. Corn on the cob. Potatoes."
"Oh, you want a Massachusetts bake-thing."
"Yeah."
"My aunt lives in Wilmington, N.C., which is on the Outer Banks, and they do that with clams. You go out at low tide with a rake and get your clams and steam them."
He nods vigorously.
"And throw in some shrimp. And if you're lucky, there some crabs caught in your trap. And I don't mean that in a dirty way."

1 comments :

  1. WHY am I being called out for being LOUD? I am such a softspoken woman... you must have me confused with someone else.

    ReplyDelete