Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Daddy Daze

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 By No comments

Emmie and I went to Atlanta to visit my family this weekend while Scott worked the political scene in Augusta. He came up about 2 hours before we were going to leave on Sunday, while Emmie and I were napping. When she woke up, I pointed to Scott, lying prone and semi-conscious on the bed.
"Who's that?" I whispered.
"DADDDEEEEEEE!" she shriek-laughed with joy. Scott's eyes cracked open just in time to protect his face from 36-lbs. of flying toddler as she launched herself onto his stomach.
"Daddy!" she giggled excitedly, and grabbed the sides of his face. "Daddy, I lub you so, so much! I miss you!"
"I love you, too," Scott smiled, but she kept a firm hold on his cheeks.
"I lub you so much, Daddy!"

But just a couple of hours later, we had to come back to Augusta. My dad drove us back, and we had a nice conversation in the van on the way back. We've had a nice couple of days. Sunday night we snuggled in the bed and ate granola bars and watched the BBC broadcast of "Pride & Prejudice" with Colin Firth.

"Who dat, mama?" she asked, pointing at some lengthy camera shot of Mr. Darcy (Firth) glowering across the room at Elizabeth Bennett (Jennifer Ehle).
"That's Darcy," I answered.
"Ohhh.... he sad," she worried.

Last night, we came back to my office while the staff was on deadline, and then went to the "Hello Dolly" rehearsals by the Augusta Players to take pictures. Then we went home and wrestled in bed until my sides hurt from laughing, and then we snuggled together and slept. In the morning, she ate granola bars in bed and watched "Curious George" try to start an animal band while I took a shower.

I thought we were having a really great time together, and I think we were. She hasn't had a timeout or an unmanageable "toddler" episode. I've thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

But this morning, as we were turning onto Warren Road from the bridge, I glanced into the rearview mirror and saw her face. She looked like she was about to cry.

"Honey? What's wrong?" I asked, alarmed. "You look so sad."
She didn't look up, just shook her little 3-year-old noggin slowly, staring forlornly at the back of the seat in front of her.
"I loss my daddee," she said. "I ca't fine him."

0 comments :

Post a Comment