Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Calling Mother Nature...

It began about two weeks ago.
"Uh! My allergies are killing me!" I said to A.C.
"I know," she said. "Usually I have a couple of months of relief left this time of year."

And yesterday, when I went to get in my car after a long day at work, there was a fine sprinkle of yellow dust on my windshield. Pollen. In February.

A friend came down from Atlanta, and we took Emerson for a walk around the neighborhood. "Look, that's a Japanese Maple," she said.

I noted that few buds were on the tree, because all of its flowers were fully opened. And then I started noticing other Japanese Maples around town - I'd never noticed that Augusta had so many!

I was reminded of my hometown, Conyers, Ga. It claims to be the "Crepe Myrtle Capital of the World." That because we planted them all while I was in Campfire Girls & Boys. Every time something happened - someone died, a library branch opened, Arbor Day came around, or we passed a blade of grass - my mom, who was our troupe leader, would run over to Pike Nurseries and pick up a friggin' tree. Out came the shovel and I knew I was digging a hole somewhere. I wonder if some little girl in Augusta's Girl Scout troupes had an experience like that, and perhaps that little girl has a blinding hatred of gardening, too.

Anyway, could someone wake Mother Nature and ask her if she could get to work? The party, madam, is over. Toss all the vodka bottles and find yourself a nice hangover cure. We want winter back.

0 comments :

Post a Comment