Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, March 10, 2008

Somebody loves me!

AUGUSTA, GA. - I may not win a bloggie - or a weblog award, or a best of blogs, or anything else. But someone out there loves me. Parenting Publications of America just released their annual PPA Awards, and I won first place for general feature writing! Woo-hoo!

My father's response: "Do you get a raise? A promotion?"
No, dad. I get a piece of paper, and this write-up from the judges:

Gold: Metro Augusta Parent, “Bad Rabbit: The True Diary of a Pregnancy,” Stacey Hudson, writer; Amy Christian, editor.

It may be true that where pregnancy is concerned, it’s all been said before — but rarely with this much laugh-out-loud humor. A fresh voice brings new life to this familiar tale, which is unflinching in its honesty. For every woman who has ever been there and every man who has stood beside her, here’s testimony that a sense of humor is the saving grace.

But, even BETTER (and if you've ever tried to organize these things, you'll appreciate it) is that Copy Editor Extraordinare Alice Wynn won Second Place for her calendar listings! The judges said:

Silver: Metro Augusta Parent; Amy Christian, editor; Alice Wynn, web and listings editor

Readers find a wide variety of information in these listings, including useful sections such as Home Schooling resources, Baby Care, and Childbirth Preparation. There is a distinct impression that just about anything that happens can be found in this calendar.

And, finally, our long-lost Creative Director, Betsy Hartman Everest, won first place for a cover illustration. The judges said:

Gold: Metro Augusta Parent; Amy Christian, editor; Betsy Everest, creative director

A combination of saturated, pop-art style colors grab the reader’s attention. The interplay between each hand’s color and the opposing color behind it create strong contrasts that give life to the composition and keep the eye moving around the page.

This is how much respect it warrants us. Alice came and asked me to write a photo caption for my Bite story for this week's issue.
"No, I'm sorry," I laughed, holding up my hands. "I'm very busy writing award-winning features stories and I cannot be bothered with your silly caption."
She tossed the page on my desk anyway: "You know, 'Vanity Fair' ain't calling you yet."

Update: Alice just called her dad to tell him that she won a silver award. His first question: "Do you get any money?" Amy and I laughed. Dads are all alike.

0 comments :

Post a Comment