Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, August 11, 2008

Not a 21st Century Digital Boy

So my husband, the news junkie, fell for a promotion from the Augusta Chronicle. He signed us up for a subscription for $13 a month - or, in Stacey math, 30 crossword puzzles he'll never let me near.

I was kind of irritated. Since almost the entire paper is free online, it didn't make sense to me. Plus, every time I've tried to subscribe to the paper, I've had to fight to get my papers on time - even though the delivery person always showed up to collect right on schedule. One month, I had to call 9 days in a row to get my paper delivered. After a three months of this kind of service, I called and told them to cancel the subscription. They never issues my refund, and I eventually tired of calling them. In my mind, they still owe me $15.

Scott was convinced that it wouldn't happen this time. That was a month ago. Guess how many papers we've received. No, really: guess.

One.

After a couple of weeks of wondering if perhaps they had a backlog of subscriptions to process, the charge showed up on our account. "See?" I said. "Call them and tell them we haven't gotten crap."

"But you're scheduled for service," the confused circulation employee said when Scott called.
"And we're being charged for it," Scott said. "But we haven't received a single paper."

Saturday morning, a paper appeared on our porch. Hallelujah.

Sunday morning... no paper.

"Just. Call. And. Cancel," I said, through gritted teeth, as I backed out of the driveway this morning.

"I will," he sighed, with obvious disappointment. I will buy him a huge book of crossword puzzles to make up for his tragic loss.

"And get our money refunded!" I called as he trudged dejectedly past our once-again-paperless porch back into the house.

I won't bank on it.

0 comments :

Post a Comment