Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, August 31, 2007

You have to be kinder to your circulatory system

"What's Augusta Magazine's circulation?" my boss asks.
"Uh.... I dunno. I'll find out."
Moments later...
"Augusta Magazine’s circulation is 10,000, with a readership of 86,000," I read off the corporate website."
"Ten THOUSAND?!" he asks, incredulous. "I don't know anybody who gets it."
"Well, it's not a circulation thing, it's a point-of-sale thing. They have it at Kroger and stuff," I answer.
"Yeah, but I don't know anybody who gets it," he repeats.
"They have it in doctors offices and dentists offices," A.W. says.
"Yeah, but are there 10,000 doctors offices and dentists offices around here?" T.G. asks.
"In this town? Probably." I answer.
"Wait," A.C. interrupts. "They go from 10,000 to 86,000?"
"That probably includes their pass-along and their online readership," I say. "It's still totally inflated."
"Didn't Charles Walker go to jail over something like that?" T.G. asks.
"Yeah, but it's Billy Morris," I say. "A black man trying to own Augusta gets in trouble. If you're a white man who already owns Augusta, you're good."
(In fact, you get the TEE Center contract)
Tom laughs.
"Charles Walker's biggest mistake was not wearing a cowboy hat," I say.
Tom laughs. "Oh, that's good."
"Cowboy Mike wears a cowboy hat," A.C. says.
I smile. "And has he ever gotten arrested?"

0 comments :

Post a Comment