Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Urgh...

I don't mean to complain - really! - because usually I love my job. But our ad reps, it seems, are doing TOO good a job. Every time I've called someone today about a story, they've practically shrieked, "WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!"

Case in point, the Aiken Center for the Arts. SUCH NICE PEOPLE! I'm serious about that. But I've spoken with their Executive Director recently for another story, and I thought she might remember my name or publication - you know, one or the other. However...

Me: "Hi, my name is Stacey Hudson, and I'm calling from The Metro Spirit newspaper about Aiken Arts Alive. I'd like to do a story on the event. Is it a good time for you to talk?"
KB: "Briefly, Stacey, because I'm leaving in about three minutes."
Me: "Oh, well, why don't we set up a time to talk tomorrow?"
KB: "Well, we're really not interested in advertising right now."
Me: "Oh, no! I'm calling about a story. We'd like to do a story on the event - on Aiken Arts Alive."
KB: "Right, but is this about money?"
(pause)
Me: "Uh, no. It's about a story."
KB: "I mean, I really hate to tell people that we don't have any money in our marketing budget right now."
Me: "Right, well, I'm not selling advertising. I'd like to write a story. You know. Help promote the event."
KB: "Oh... OH! Oh, great! Well, we'd like that!"
Me: "Right. So how about I give you a call tomorrow and we can talk about it?"

Blah blah exchange numbers, bye.

Seriously? Can you gorgeous ladies over in ad sales lay off the thumbscrews, please?! You're making my peeps crazy.

Oh, and Joe White: Bite me. Our sales dept. is rocking the suburbs. Don't make me kick your ass at the Beasley Christmas Party, 'cause mama got a new pair of shoes! They're red. And cute. See below. But you don't want them up your bunghole.

1 comments :