Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, July 22, 2010

No, Scott Hasn't Been Slapping My Face

Thursday, July 22, 2010 By

I'm rather vocal when I like a product. I'm especially vocal when I like a product and it's CHEAP. So I'm going to start doing more product reviews, in order to be helpful to people. And because sometimes I have nothing to talk about. Hello, space filler.

One of the things I wanted to mention is specific to those with rosacea. I'm a pasty white girl, and my rosacea saves money on blush. Unfortunately, it costs me more in skin care products, most of which have little effect. Note: this post isn't about "cheap," unless we can cut through buying all the other stuff that doesn't work, which is what I've been doing for a couple of years. I've wasted a lot of money that way, and I'd like to save some others the same fate.

So, getting to what worked for me:  Ahhh, Aveeno. This skin care has come a long way from its days of selling oatmeal-infused bath additives for weird skin rashes, and such. (note: it may be the one old commercial that is not currently available on YouTube) Aveeno has gone from chicken-pox/poison-ivy cures and turned into a natural-care line with some surprisingly good products.

Case in point: Stress from a new job and too much of the summer sun had turned my rosacea-smeared cheeks into a boiling, burning, puffy, disgusting mess. It got to the point that I was laying on the couch twice a day with a bag of frozen peas across my face. My cheeks had run up the redness scale from Fashion Faux Pas: Lay off the Blush to Danger! About to Blow! ... it was real sexy, let me tell ya.

I had been using Neutrogena's redness-reducing green stuff in a pump bottle. It was fine for a couple of times a week. But since it contains salicylic acid, it was too irritating for my face, sometimes. Desperate for relief, after a month of cold showers and frozen-pea-brains, I picked up the Aveeno Ultra Calming Moisturizing Cream Cleanser and Daily Moisturizer. Within a week, the rosacea had become manageable again.

Supposedly, the stuff contains extract of feverfew, which is related to chamomile. And I don't really care. It not only has brought my cheeks back to semi-normal, it successfully treated my weird left elbow, which is almost always painfully dry. I have no explanation for my elbow, people, I just like to share my body odd.

Anyway, this product may not be for everyone. But it worked for me when I remember to use it twice a day, morning and night. And when I stay out of the sun. Which I should do anyway.

Happy summer skin, everyone!


0 comments :

Post a Comment