Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Saturday, August 15, 2009

How to cut your child's hair

Saturday, August 15, 2009 By

Hell hath no fury like a 4-year-old flower girl forced to wear taffeta, in June, in Georgia.

AUGUSTA, GA - It was inevitable. Everyone I know has done it. And Emmie, as exceptional as I think she is, is not the exception, in this case.

She cut her hair.

The beautiful curls that reached to mid-back - the ones complete strangers coo over; the ones I curl around my fingers as she sleeps; the ones I have never been able to keep tangle-free - are gone.

"Dey were in my face," she explained. But now they're a half-inch from her hairline.

She was rocking a not-so-rockin' mullet before noon today, and I burst into tears like an idiot. I couldn't stop crying over hair! After 10 minutes of this, she started crying, too. Great. What an excellent mom I am!

Emmie after crying because I was crying. I'm an ass. But see how she chopped her hair in the front and sides? Doesn't it make you want to cry, too?

I gathered us together and we ran over to the salon, where they put together a custom shoulder-length cut with layers that make her look less mangled... but she reminds me, weirdly, of 80s phenom Kristy McNichol. Anyone else remember The Pirate Movie? Anyone?

She loves the cut ("Iss byootifuwl!" she exclaimed, and shook her hair like a model in front of a wind machine). It does keep her hair out of her eyes, and I have seen her impatiently pushing it out of her face rather a lot, lately. But I still took all of her so-called "safety" scissors away and put them in high places that she cannot access.

0 comments :

Post a Comment