Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, July 10, 2009

Apartment Living Can Have Unusual Hazards

Friday, July 10, 2009 By

AUGUSTA, GA - When our upstairs neighbors moved in two years ago, they seemed like nice people. Two students working their way through school, blah blah blah...

But let's just say they were an active couple.

One night, we were sound asleep when the sound of glass breaking alerted me to a burglar. In fact, the glass landed heavily on top of me in the bed!

"Waaaaaaaaahhhh!" I shrieked, throwing the covers off and springing up in bed, ready to unleash my hidden ninja skills upon the intruder.

"Shush! It's okay! Just don't move!" Scott exclaimed, already rounding the foot of the bed and disappearing briefly into the darkness beyond the doorway. Before I could even gather my breath from the shriek, he reappeared and rapped smartly three times on the bedroom ceiling with the broom handle.

"Wha- what's going on?" I demanded sleepily, shakily, squinting as he flipped on the bedroom light.

"Our neighbors were at it again," he groaned, glaring upwards. "Their exercise... Well..."

He gestured to the bed and floor, and I saw, as I followed the line of sight from his glare to the covers and saw that the glass globe cover had been shaken from the ceiling fan fittings and shattered against the foot board of our bed.

I heard muffled laughter and rapid footsteps overhead, as we began the tedious process of cleaning the mess.

"They sure have a lot of energy," Scott snickered.

"Yeah..." I sighed, with dramatic wistfulness. He tossed a sock at me, and I laughed.

Those neighbors moved out a year ago, and we've never found a globe that fit the ceiling fan - although I haven't tried that hard. And while we offered to take the apartment upstairs, too, for another couple of hundred dollars a month and a two-year extension on our lease, the owners instead let it sit open, unrented, for the last year.

But last weekend, a new couple moved in. And tonight, when a rhythmic thump-thump-thump began overhead, I looked at the bare bulb above my head and grinned, glad I hadn't replaced the glass.

And, after a few minutes, I was glad that not everyone has the same level of stamina. I should get more sleep with these neighbors living above us.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment