Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

After a Layoff, Co-Workers' Reactions Can be Unpredictable

Sunday, July 12, 2009 By

AUGUSTA, GA - So, there's a former co-worker I've let get under my skin recently. She wasn't a pleasant person to work with, but she had a variety of medical conditions to deal with and it was not easy on anyone to see her lose her health insurance.

Over the last couple of days, she's said a few things to me that I've been turning over in my mind. Accusations about my character, my integrity, my skill, my value as a friend to others.

And it's hard to know how to separate the truth from her desire to cause pain and what seems to be her complete inability be truthful.

I know who I am. I know that I'm a hard worker. I expect good in people. I am always surprised to find when someone is lying or manipulating people. I write well. I try to be better than I am. I like to help and educate people. I like to learn new things. I like a challenge, a harmonious environment, and an occasional break in routine.

But I also know what my flaws are. I'm mouthy. I say inappropriate things in a sometimes misguided attempt to make people laugh. I can get down or angry about general stuff and let that creep into my personal interactions. I'm messy, and can't hold a logical train of thought for very long. There are some words I will never be able to spell without help from spellcheck. Scott just told me that I'm too sensitive, which transitions nicely into...

The ex-coworker (we'll shorten that to "e-cow" for future reference) nailed a lot of my flaws in the absolute least flattering terms.

1. I complain a lot. I really do try to make people laugh, but if done in a negative way frequently enough, I guess that would sound like a constant stream of complaints.

2. I'm polite to people's faces, but I say negative things to my friends behind their backs, which she says is fake. I thought it was called having manners, but taken too far it IS fake.

3. I'm stupid and inexperienced and nobody likes me. Well, I can't argue about the first two, because they apply to all of us in some ways. But the last, I mean, SOMEBODY likes me, right? At least my husband and daughter, I hope? Surely I'm not SO disagreeable as to turn EVERYONE off?

Here's my question: How is one supposed to sort the legitimate complaints about oneself from the mean-spirited e-cows out there? Is it good, when people lash out this way, that I take it to heart? I have been diligently trying to reason through her criticisms. Or am I giving the e-cows of the world too much credit and causing myself (and my long-suffering husband) undue stress?

I have also been reminding myself that even the best intentioned self-examinations can yield unpredictably negative results. And no matter who or what I'm dealing with, the only thing I can control is my own reaction.

And, finally, is this appropriate blog material - or is this part of the too-mouthy personality trait?

All of this lends an unfriendly tone to the inner voice that whispers in my ear. It steals away some of the confidence I've stockpiled, and renders me slightly less able to function at my best.

So what do we think? Is ignorance bliss? Or should we shoulder the burden of other people's perceptions, regardless of how positive or negative they are?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

7 comments :

  1. Ok, first of all, you have friends and that would say to me that there's obviously people who enjoy your company. If life didn't always get in the way, I'm sure you and I would be friends. I like your take on things, your view, your sense of humor, warped and all.
    So if that makes me a bad person, too, then I think I'll stay there.
    At almost 40 we don't have to pretend to be people we're not and we certainly don't have to be around people we don't want to. It takes too much energy to put on airs.
    Your husband adores you, your daughter adores you and there's enough of us out here that are "fans" for a REASON...we LIKE you, we REALLY like you :) Now give this woman an award, Stacey rawks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, moosecop. Here's a big Internets hug from me to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darlin' you are taking it way to seriously. I adore you, and MY opinion is the only one that counts. (Can you find my personality flaw in that statement? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I can't find a single flaw in that statement, Amber.

    Had a great time with y'all on Saturday! Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is exactly the kind of thing blogs were invented for. It's an informal venue where you can explore the lighter or deeper aspects of the human experience without the pressure of someone else telling you what you can and can't say. We all relate to what you're going through - the struggle to recognize your flaws without succumbing to self pity. Reading this reminds us that we do not have to accept our flaws as unchangeable nor do we have to designate ourselves as unlovable.

    In return we offer the affirmation of the shared human experience. Mean people will always base an attack on a sliver of truth. They bank on us picking up that sliver and stabbing ourselves with it, over and over, for years after we have forgotten their names. No one could ever be a more relentless enemy. The best revenge is to recognise the tactic for what it is and refuse to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you've even begun to take any of her complaints seriously. If you're taking comfort in the fact that the people you like and are nice to like you, you aren't paying attention to how you are to others. She probably wasn't talking about your husband and child. Even Dick Cheney's wife and kid like him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - I'm pretty sure I know who you are. And while I'll certainly consider your point, your opinion is not truly valid in this matter because you've never even met me.

    ReplyDelete