Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, April 03, 2009

Ironically, I'm Not All That Amused, Either

"Sophistry," I announce to Alice, after a 20-minute search for the correct word.
"What?"

"Sophistry," I say, smugly.
"I've never even heard of that word," she says, and commands me to spell it.

"Sophistry?" she asks again.
"Well, it could be soff-istry," I say. I don't know. I've only ever read it, not heard anyone else pronounce it.

"And what is it?"
"It's a fallacy in argument and reasoning, like using one point, idea or example to back up another, when really they're quite unrelated," I say.

"Like what people say irony is?" she asks.
"Like what people think irony is, but, ironically, it is not!" I laugh uproariously at my retarded joke.

Alice is not amused: "Okay, I'm hanging up now."

0 comments :

Post a Comment