Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Go ask Alice... but Wait Until She's Ten-Feet Tall

From "The Office," which I rarely watch, but it cracked me up with this scene.
Ryan: What I really want -- honestly Michael – is for you to know it so you can communicate it to the people here, to your clients, to whomever.
Michael: Oh, ok…
Ryan: What?
Michael: It’s whoever, not whomever…
Ryan: No, it’s whomever…
Michael: No…whomever is never actually right.
Jim: Well, sometimes it’s right.
Creed: Michael is right. It’s a made-up word used to trick students.
Andy: No. Actually, whomever is the formal version of the word.
Oscar: Obviously it’s a real word, but I don’t know when to use it correctly.
Michael: Not a native speaker.
Kevin: I know what’s right, but I’m not gonna say because you’re all jerks who didn’t come see my band last night.
Ryan: Do you really know which one is correct?
Kevin: I don’t know.
Pam: It’s whom when it’s the object of the sentence and who when it’s the subject.
Phyllis: That sounds right.
Michael: Well, it sounds right but is it?
Stanley: How did Ryan use it, as an object?
Ryan: As an object…
Kelly: Ryan used me as an object.
Stanley: Is he right about that?
Pam: How did he use it again?
Toby: It was…Ryan wanted Michael, the subject, to, uh, explain the computer system, the object, to whomever, meaning us, the indirect object…which is the correct usage of the word.
Michael: No one asked you anything ever so, whomever’s name is Toby, why don’t you take a letter opener and stick it into your skull.

0 comments :

Post a Comment