Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Case for Water boarding

Thursday, May 21, 2009 By

Scott and I are talking about water boarding. Is it torture? Is it legal? Is it acceptable for us to have different standards for soldiers in a standing army v. members of a self-supporting militia? Perhaps no other subject inspires such feelings of naivete, helplessness, and inadequacy within me.

"Back in World War II," he began (where he always begins, by the way). "If you came in behind an enemy army and tried to sabotage the supply line, there was no Guantanamo. You were lined up against the nearest wall and summarily shot."

"I guess that's war," I conceded, reluctantly.

"That's war," he agreed. "That's what happened when you come in behind an enemy and try to infiltrate the rear."

I start snickering. He glares and continues.

"It's bad when an enemy soldier is caught doing it. It's worse when it's a civilian," he says. "WHAT?"

I snort. "You said 'infiltrate the rear."

He cackles. But I sense the discussion is over. I guess we're not really on the same intellectual level. He an amateur historian. I'm an amateur 12-year-old boy.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comments :

  1. Why do you feel so inadequate and helpless and naive when it comes to waterboarding? Is it because your wanna-be talking head husband is following the Cheney talking points and you know it's bs, but can't call your husband out on anything and have to act and call yourself stupid to get out of the whole thing? Didn't you used to be Ms. Independent Thinker? Doubt it, but you liked to think you were. Medicaid money dries up and your whole worldview changes, I guess. Good luck, sister. You need it.

    ReplyDelete