Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

What Time is it? I - I've Been Watching You...

So another epic battle of wills between me and Emmie tonight about bedtime. We have the same routine every night:

  1. jammies
  2. brush teeth
  3. responsibility chart
  4. read 2 stories
  5. turn on soothing music
  6. smooch and hug daddy
  7. get tucked in my mama, with smooches and hugs
  8. lights out, night light on
  9. door closed, goodnight.
And yet, many nights, you chuck several hundred pairs of wooden shoes into my finely calibrated machinery. Tonight was no exception. About 20 minutes after we'd parted ways, I went to check on you. I opened the door and you froze in place - but I didn't see you at first. That's because my eyes were watering from the smell.

But when they cleared, there you were, perched on your bed with two books, with a pull-up on each leg, each arm, and your head. I put on what I hoped was a stern face, took a step back, gently pulled the door closed, and heaved silent laughter until I thought my lungs would burst. Then I put my stern face back on and opened the door.

"Mama?" you said with concern - you knew you weren't supposed to be awake right then. "I change my pull-up."

And you had. You had made a giant reeking poopie and very diligently cleaned yourself, changed your pull-up and even tossed the old pull-up and wipes in the trash can... and then decorated yourself in other pull-ups. The cone of diaper atop your head was particularly fetching. I was proud of you, and told you so, while gently removing the unused pull-ups from your appendages. You beamed: "I do it myself!"

Yes, you did. And I thank you for it.

0 comments :

Post a Comment