Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, June 25, 2007

Humperdink


AUGUSTA, GA. - See this? "At Sea Level, The Atmosphere Presses The Earth's Surface at 14.7 Pounds Per Square Inch," by Hollis Brown Thornton. Acrylic, Carbon Transfer, Pigment Transfer on Canvas.*

First of all, the title cracks me up. Second of all, there's a series of six in blues and yellows that is calling to me from the Mary Pauline Gallery right now. It's only $500 apiece, and I can't think of a better investment of our money - you know, besides masters courses and health care and private school education and paying off our car loan and buying a house and putting more away in our retirement fund... except for those things, I can't think of a better investment for our money than art.

Scott would kill me dead with his bare hands if I spent $3,000 on artwork. It's just not a priority. I spent $125 on a piece by local artist Lisa Baggs and I thought his head was going to explode.

Now if it was Queen memorabilia or the dental extraction of Freddy Mercury, that would be okay in his book. But there you have it. Two roads diverged in a wood, and he took the one lined with sequined jumpsuits. Because he is the champion, my friend.

* What is "pigment transfer?" I'd call it "painting." And I'd say that "carbon transfer" is the same as "drawing with a damn pencil." **

** That doesn't mean Thornton's pieces aren't super great. It just means I think the descriptions are wonky. ***

*** I totally stole the word "wonky" from Harry Potter.****

**** My 2-year-old calls "Harry Pohtah" because she's watched it so much that she's actually picked up a British accent.

0 comments :

Post a Comment