Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Why I'm in Favor of Birth Control for Teens

AUGUSTA, GA. - Emmie's into hard-boiled eggs, lately. She likes to crack and peel them. This morning, I showed her how to boil eggs. We talked about stove safety, we talked about heat and why water boils, and what steam is. We let the eggs cool and while she sat down to eat them, I went to get our clothes ready for the morning.

I came back into the living room to find her mournfully gazing down upon two flattened, unpeeled, boiled eggs sitting in the palms of her hands. How quickly things with a child can go from perfect to shattered.

"What happened?" I asked, holding the bowl so that she could drop in the eggs.

She sighed: "I was tryin' ta be a chicken, and den dey smash and -"

I have no idea how that ended because my laughter drowned out her explanations. Oh, man, it was totally worth the effort to make her more eggs.

0 comments :

Post a Comment