Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Just Because You're Paranoid, Don't Mean... Well, it Might Mean That They're Not After You...

Previously in Blogland:

Stacey was freaking out because of crazy people making threats.

Then, one of the crazy people rang the doorbell! (gasp!)

Tonight, a man followed me around the Bi-Lo glaring at me the whole time. I think he was reaching for my purse in the seafood section, because I turned around and he made a sudden movement. That's when the glaring began. I smiled at him, all friendly-like, because... I mean, I didn't know if he was trying to jack my purse. He could have epilepsy. But he just kept glaring at me. So I walked off, thinking of Amy's bad luck at the North Augusta Wal-Mart and vowing not to be such a dumbass in the future.

But he followed me around the store, even though I changed direction a couple of times, putting something back that I saw and wanted but that we totally don't need.... like gefeltefish and turkey necks.

Okay, I'm just kidding. What we didn't need was six cans of diced tomatoes. But you know how when you're in the store you kind of put on people blinders and go on about your business as though no one else was there, unless you absolutely have to acknowledge their presence, like when their cart mangles your big toe? Right, well, this guy was all about engaging me, staring me right in the eye and pushing around a cart with just a couple of cans from the sale bin right at the front entrance. It was weird.

But I didn't really notice it at the beginning. I just thought, "Hey, there's that guy again. And there he is again! And... why is he still looking at me like that?" But after about a half hour of it, I started to get a little weirded out. Then, even though I stopped and talked to Madonna Smith for about 20 minutes, he left at the same time I did, without a cart or a grocery bag. And he left the parking lot right behind me and turned the same direction.

So I drove around in the little neighborhoods around the Hill area, just looking at rental property and kind of watching my rear view mirror. There was no one there. It added an extra half hour to a trip I already didn't want to make. But mostly it pissed me off. Either this dude was acting like a freak, or I'm turning into a freak. Could someone give me their objective opinion as to whether or not I'm losing my damn mind?

8 comments :

  1. Stacey, trust your instincts. Please. This is baroness again. If you see him again try to get a good description of him in your mind (without letting him know you are observing him back) and tell your husband, clip it to your dashboard, put a note on the calendar, anything that works for you, in case you need the information later. I used to give people the benefit of the doubt always, but now I do very selectively. It's too dangerous to do otherwise nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to know what the context of the comments regarding baroness were. I have no idea why I was targeted and can not find the reference on my own. I don't want to worry my children of course, but I'm a homemaker, so I don't know how to navigate the net well enough to find the comments on my own. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baroness - I can't put it on the blog, because it's too long. So if you'll give me your e-mail, I'll send it along to you. It was in the context of this: http://www.metrospirit.com/index.php?cat=121003054549662&ShowArticle_ID=11011501084518121

    But I have the chat room log if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll pm Scott on the forums, so it won't be accessible here, and ask him to give it to you, since I don't know how much traffic this site gets. I don't want anymore people having my email than I already do. Thanks for the URL, too, but I can't figure out how to type the last three symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, I've pm'd the request to him and figured out the Metro spirit URL. I had read that article, at least. I just realized it may take a while to get an answer from him because of other priorities. Would like to get my email to you quicker if I could figure out another way and still keep my anonymity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just e-mail me, then:
    firstname.lastname(a)metrospirit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got it, thanks. Found reference. Had found it somewhere before, then lost it, couldn't get it back for some reason. I still couldn't figure out why my name was dropped by this self professed revolutionary in this context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He targets anyone because he's a little man looking to be a big man. He's much cooler and more powerful online than he is in real life. I doubt he even knows a black panther, unless he met one through National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete