Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bedtime for Bonzo

Sunday, January 20, 2008 By 2 comments

So, ever since Emerson has moved to her toddler bed (her crib converted), bedtime has been a challenge. I mean, there were a couple of weeks before she figured out that she could get out of bed without some invisible barrier throwing her up against the wall.

But eventually she did figure it out, and then the time between 8 and 10 p.m. became a game of "What's That Noise? Baby or Burgler?" Of course, we had thought that it was always the baby, but see my previous posts for reasons why I'm now suspicious.

Anyway, we'd begun taking toys away every time she got out of bed. Doctor kit. Princess dress-up box. Toy box. Crayons. Flash cards (oh, god, she's a nerd like her mama. We lurves the flash cards around here). Books. You would think that with consistent positive parenting and communication, we could have knocked this issue out in a couple of weeks. You would think that. And then you would be delusional like us.

Tonight, things came to a head. Her toy box, princess box, giant teddy bear, stuffed bunny rabbit, wooden sword (or, her "arrmatey," as she calls it) snowman pillow, coloring books and crayons all sat piled up in the hallway outside her door. Fed up, I even closed the doors on her bookcase and child-proofed it with zip tabs. "Good idea," Scott crowed. Yes. We had covered every base. Now, I thought, Emerson will submit to our overpowering will and authority. "Defeat!" she will think. "Even the greatest strike out every once in a while." Or something like that - a "the battle is lost, but I have a whole life to wage the war," kind of thing.

More delusions. She did not think "defeat." Emerson sat up in her toddler bed, shook her 2-year-old Afro and thought, "Oh, snap. Now it is ON."

All was quiet on the baby front for for a good 15 minutes. I patted myself on the back, shook my fists over each shoulder in victory congratulation and celebrated with a cup of ice cream. The last ice cream in the house. Nyah nyah, husband-of-mine-who-went-to-the-store-and-bought-everyone-but-his-wife-some-ice cream earlier today. But then, I heard a little scrabbling sound. It could have been the dog, Scrabble. There's a reason we gave him that name. But, of course, it wasn't.

I stomped towards her room. "Emerson!" I called out as I turned the doorknob. "If you aren't-" SMASH!!!! My face hit the door. The door that stopped very suddenly mid-swing. The door that, even when pressed hard against my face, wouldn't open.

"Emmie?" I called, concerned. She didn't respond. "Emmie?!" I called again. Why wouldn't she answer me? Did she escape when I wasn't looking? Was her lifeless body wedged against the door?

"Honey, open the door!" I pleaded. Was one of the crazy people who are bothering us in there with her? Who do I have to kill? I shoved the door harder and it eked open a crack.

There was Emmie' grinning face, surrounded by the bars on the back of her toddler bed. She had gotten out of the bed, pushed the entire contraption in front of the door, gathered her remaining toys about her, and proudly commenced to get on with her triumphant play time.

I turned the situation over to Scott because I was laughing too hard for her to take me seriously. He got her back to bed and we went on, secure in the effectiveness of the scolding she received and the punishment of sleeping with the light off. "You mate me vewy angwy," she commanded after Scott was done with his reprimand. God, I know that tone. I AM that tone.

So, I was blogging all that when suddenly I realized I could see a crack of light under her bedroom door. I got up, confused, and walked to her room. "Honey, I thought..." I opened the door.

And that's when it hit me: Emerson is just smarter than we are. There she was, all of 2 years old, perched ATOP THE ARM OF HER CRIB, reaching for her baby wipes. She had pushed her crib around, scooched it up against her dresser, turned on her lamp and was just deciding what else she wanted up there on her dresser. Then I opened the door.

I could almost see her twirling a handlebar mustache. "Curses! Foiled again!"

So we changed her diaper and she told me how I mate her vewy angwy, and then we smooched and said "I love you," and then I turned out the light and told her goodnight.
"I not angwy anymore," she said, dimples shining in the dark.
"I'm glad, sweetie. I love you," I cooed.
"I lub you, too," she said. "I be good girl."
"Thank you, sweetheart."

But I left the bedroom door open just in case.

2 comments :

  1. Hi, it's baroness again. So far I'm all in one piece. Thanks for your help. I would hate to have to move again after what I went through after reporting drug trafficking in my old neighborhood. I still don't know why my screen name was mentioned in the firebomb quote, I'm just a mom, not a reporter, not a public figure. Glad to see you posting away, despite the odd, worrisome incident with the mailman and the moderator. Hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the baby and baby crib story. You might as well start socking away money for college. Sounds like baby girl is Georgia Tech material. My four were very adept at adapting their environment to their goals (out of reach items, locked up children's vitamins/hence the vigilance) and they remained problem solvers and never less than A students all the way through highschool. baroness

    ReplyDelete