Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, February 25, 2011

Morning breath

Friday, February 25, 2011 By

I'm at my desk, getting some copy ready to post, when a co-worker walks in.

"Hey, Stacey, I - what are you doing?" she interrupts herself.

I follow her gaze to my bowl. "Eating breakfast."

"That's a salad."

"Yeah."

"For breakfast?"

"I... like salad?"

"But... for breakfast?!"

"Yeah."

She stares at me, obviously thinking I am some kind of nutburger. What's so frightening about vegetables in the morning? I happen to know that in China, they often have soup for breakfast. Still, I feel a little like that kid at the middle school lunch table whose mom packed him a love note. Cultural prejudices run deep, and people are weird about vegetables.

"But, look, it has bacon in it...?" I try to defend myself.

"No."

"But -"

"NO."

"Okay..." I set the bowl aside, shaking with laughter. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

She pauses, frowns. "I have no idea," she says, and walks out.

When she is gone, I finish my tasty salad. It is awesome. With or without bacon.


0 comments :

Post a Comment