Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, February 28, 2011

Enemy of the State

Monday, February 28, 2011 By

I am an enemy of the people.

Are you frightened?

Recently, I found out that I have been cast in with a group of people deemed politically distasteful by a certain individual in the community. I am unworthy. I am verboten. I am even a little dangerous.

Well. Color me surprised. I mean, all this time, I had no idea that I was part of the effort to destroy our great republic.

Let me tell you my goals in life:

1. I want to be a great mom - I mean a SUPER great mom. Not Betty Crocker traditional. I want to be the kind of mom who teaches her child to be independent, to pull herself up by her bootstraps when necessary, to put her brain before her feelings, to value education and integrity, and to enjoy her life. I want to be the kind of mom no mom has ever been because we are mere mortals.

2. I want to be a solid employee. I want to be the kind of person people can trust, and to whom they can turn when they need something. I want to turn out work that is consistent, and that contributes to the progress of the employer I chose specifically because of their contributions to the community. (and, okay, the rad benefits package)

3. I want to make someone laugh every day.

4. I'd like to travel. A lot. Any sponsors?

That's pretty much it. None of those involve destroying the American way of life.
I don't have any lofty goals to win a Pulitzer - or even a Webby. I mean, yeah, everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done. But most professionals go through their careers just doing their jobs and never get to put a certificate or a plaque on their walls. ("Accountant of the Year?" Doesn't exist.) And I don't need to make it to "Saturday Night Live." I just want to bring a smile to someone's face every day.

At no point did I think to myself, "Yes, I'd like to bog down the gears of government with hateful, angry rhetoric and fear-mongering." But the people who have cast me in with a group of Social Untouchables perpetuate just that agenda. Our way, or get out of the way.

Well, I'm okay with that. I really am. Some of these people in this group I really liked. A couple of them gave me the creeps. And one of those creeps has been very publicly outed for his predilections.

Yet, the person who deemed me unacceptable has not wavered from supporting Creepy McCreeperson. So, like a former boss who brought a colorful variety of certifiably insane people into his life but chose to think the worst of me (he's awesome, but for a while his judgment of me really hurt), it's quite easy to conclude that I don't need that person's approval.

... Then, again, I'm blogging about it. So maybe I want it anyway.




2 comments :

  1. We all need and want acceptance. It sucks, but it's true. You just need to remember that I accept you enough on behalf of two continents. Plus, you're my role model. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Well, I'm so glad that I have fooled someone. I am glad that South America and Europe have accepted me. Now I just need to work on the adjacent counties...

    ReplyDelete