Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Time to replace the filter

Monday, January 17, 2011 By

I had lunch with a woman I don't get to see that often, due to the insanity of our lives. Over Mexican, we talked relationships and such.

"So how's your ex doing?" I asked.

"Well... he died," G.W. answered.

I. Am. An. A-hole.

"I am so sorry," I said, desperate for a way to rewind the last 30 seconds and choose an entirely different line of questioning.


"I'm actually still having a hard time with it," she said.

What do you say to someone in that situation? The correct answer is: nothing. You should take their hand, nod sympathetically, and remain silent.

That is not what I did. I did what I always do: I made a joke.

"Did you kill him?" I asked.

Oh, god. I am an f-ing moron.

Luckily, she threw her head back and laughed.

"That's not a bad question," she laughed.

Hey, someone as wrong as I am. Maybe we can share a handbasket on our way down.

0 comments :

Post a Comment