Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, September 06, 2007

I am Me

So I'm at the bank today, which sits catty corner from my office. The tellers can watch me walk from the front door of the newspaper office to the counter without missing but a second of my stroll. I know all of these tellers. They know where I work. I go in this branch - and only this branch about 3 times a month. There is never a line. They recognize me by sight and many of them recognize me by name, too.

"So because you're completing a counter transaction today, Ms. McGowen, I'll need to see a secondary form of I.D.," the teller says to me, with a robotic smile.

A what?

"Uhhh...." I pause, trying to think.

"Your Social Security card, a credit card...?" she prompts. Nope. Got nothin'. I don't carry my SSC and I don't have a credit card.

"Your insurance card?" she inquires politely. It's in the car.

"A bill?" I pay them all online.

"Well, it doesn't have to have your photo on it..." she muses, while I rifle through my wallet. I come across a small bit of the documentation from when some doofus smashed in my car window and stole my purse out of the trunk.

"Hey! How about my Richmond County Sheriff's Office Evidence Tag?" I laugh, holding it out to her. Her eyebrows go up as she examines it.

"Yep, that'll do," she grins, and hands me a $20.

Hey... I guess crime does pay.

0 comments :

Post a Comment