Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, July 25, 2011

Penny for your thoughts

Monday, July 25, 2011 By

We are at Hill Drug when Emerson spies a penny abandoned in a plastic box.

"Do you hab some money an' dollars to gib to dis?" she asks, thinking it a charitable collection box.

"That is actually for when you don't have quite enough money. Then you can take a penny if you need it," I explain.

Her face lights up.

"You don't need it," I say. "You're not paying for anything.

"Wull, I'm payeend for college," she shoots back.

The employees cackle, and Emerson crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow at me, full of self-satisfaction.

"Not here. Not today," I laugh.

"Wull, someday. An' I can SABE it."

"No. Leave it for someone who needs it."

"Okay, fiiiine," she rolls her eyes, but grins at me.

Inspired by her humor, I take a penny out of my wallet and hand it to her. She looks at it for a moment, delighted... and then adds it to the box.

I give her a bemused look. She shrugs. "Anudder person might need it first."

So sweet.



0 comments :

Post a Comment