Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Scott's Amazing Recovery

Thursday, November 13, 2008 By , 2 comments

AUGUSTA, GA. - We had a scare yesterday when we found out that a patient who was at University with Scott - and had the same disease - has died. The 74-year-old avid cyclist, who had been feeling fine and even biking again, passed away a couple of days ago. His lungs had been hit hard by the disease, and his body never really fully recovered.

So when a friend called and tensely told me not to let Scott reschedule his appointment, I made sure he'd still planned on going this morning. And then I told him the news of the gentleman's death. He got quiet.

"I wish you hadn't told me that," he gritted through his teeth.
"I'm sorry," I said, watching his reaction carefully.

So when 11:45 rolled around, my brain slowed to a crawl. I continued to work, but as a robot. When my phone rang at 12:30, I snatched it up.

"You wanna hear some good news?" Scott said, with joy and relief in his voice.
"What?"
"My bloodwork isn't quite where it should be, but it's almost normal," he said.

I let out my breath with a whoosh - and then sucked it back in again.
"What does that mean?"
"My hemoglobin should be at - I think he said 12.5 - and it's hovering just under 12," he said.
"What about your B levels?"
"Fine."
"What about your... other stuff?"
"All fine."

I exhaled one final time, relieved.
"Thank god. So, what's the next step?"
"Just keep taking my multivitamins, keep allowing my body rest when it needs it, and stay on the medications as is," he said.
"So we just keep on keepin' on?"
"Yep."
"That's awesome," I said, a grin paining my cheeks.

Again, we probably have six more months before he's totally back to normal, but it's all good right now.

2 comments :