Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Vanity Pretty Fair

Saturday, November 18, 2006 By , No comments

Because we ladies simply never shut up at work, much to the chagrin of our male bretheren, the copy editor, editor and I are discussing the movie "Vanity Fair," with Reese Witherspoon.

"What did you think of it?" the copy editor asked me.
"I don't know. Usually, if there are corsets and accents, I like it.... and I like Mira Nair. I guess the story arc was too divergent in parts," I stumble. Alice nods.
"I can see that," she says. I turn back to my desk and see the editor glaring at me.
"What?" I am worried. I cannot anger my comedy partner. My days will be bleak, filled with endless words. Nothing but words.
"You and your big words," she says.
"What big words are those?" Alice asks.
"Apparently 'story' and 'arc' are just too huge for her," I reply, and we all laugh. "Wait! Wait! Here, I'll rephrase my review!"
I stand up at my desk and beat on my chest.
"Uh! Uh uh!" I imitate a gorilla, and run over to pick imaginary lice out of the editor's hair.
"Is that better?" I gasp, through laughter. We're both laughing so hard that we're crying.
"Okay," Editor Supreme says. "I think there's enough laughter over there. Do I need to find some work for you?"
"Just her!" I laugh.

0 comments :

Post a Comment