Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, January 22, 2004

I'm so hysterically punny

Thursday, January 22, 2004 By , No comments

My mother, father, and I arrive at Joe's Crab Shack in Forrest Park to meet my professor and another alumn with whom I'm giving a seminar. We've never been there before. The parking lot is jam-packed. My mother and I remark that we might as well park over in the shopping mall lot and walk over. My father glides into an empty space right at the front door. My mother and I exchange exasperated looks.

Mom: You always get the best parking spots!
Dad (laughing): Hey, I don't know, just luck.
Me: He must have good karma.

Mom didn't get it ("car-ma"), but Dad and I laughed our butts off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One of my guests paid for their tab using a 1941 Mercury dime. I'm sure they didn't even realize it, but it's worth lots more. I kept it, and told Glenn about it later. I came upon him telling Aaron about it a couple of days later.


Glenn: Yeah, a Liberty dime, and it's worth, like, $5.
Me (walking up): Actually, I looked it up. Depending on its condition, it can be worth up to $50. And it's called something different - a Mercury dime, the Treasury department website said.
Glenn: Why?
Me: Because the figure is wearing a cap with wings on it. It's supposed to symbolize freedom of thought. I guess that wouldn't "fly" now.
Glenn and Aaron roll their eyes and walk away, shaking their heads, while I laugh at my joke. What's more funny is that no one else is laughing with me. It makes me laugh harder, while my co-workers walk by, probably wondering how I remember to dress myself in the mornings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Food is piling up in the window, and no one really gives a crap until it's their food getting cold. With a sigh, I begin plowing through tickets, looking for an order I can run out. Aha! Table 106 for Daniel. I kale the plates ("No kale, no sale!" If only I was clever enough to think of that, maybe then I could be a manager, too!) and then Daniel - who is always flipping peanuts at me and has this infuriating Matrix-like ability to dodge the handsful of peanuts I throw back - is beside me.
Daniel: Hey, thanks.
Me: No problem. Do you need someone to follow you out with the other plates?
Daniel: Yeah, that would be great.
Me (pretending to walk away): Okay. I'll go find someone.
He punches me in the arm. Ouch, it actually hurt.

0 comments :

Post a Comment