Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Monday, December 13, 2010

Motherhood Summarized in One Exchange

Monday, December 13, 2010 By

Emmie is doing her homework. She is working on sight words and vocabulary. Some of the words, like "scampered," seem a bit large for a kindergartener, but I'm all about challenging them early.

I've been working with her on breaking them down and sounding them out for a couple of weeks. So, when we get to "chameleon," she needs no prompting. She takes her pencil and draws vertical lines to break the word up into manageable parts.

"Very good, Doodle!"

"Yeth! I break it apart to read the letters, and den I put dem togedder," she explained. "I see'd it when a turkey showed me on da peeyooter. He said, 'When you come to a word dats really big, break it up.'"

"Really."

"Yes."

"Um... And Mommy told you this, too, remember?"

"And den the turkey said, 'den tie a little bow and put it all togedder,'" she said.

"So, you're going to listen to a cartoon turkey...?"

"Wull, he teaches me stuff."

And what is my purpose, again?

1 comments :

  1. Apparently your purpose is to be there to record the moment, and then share it with all of us! She is way smarter than her parents, and her parents are brilliant. Hold on, 21 century--Emmie is here!

    ReplyDelete