Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just Give Me the One Thing, Okay?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 By

Augusta. Ga. - Emmie's learning to read, so she's really into guessing the letters that start each word. She also likes for me to spell out words for her to practice writing on her portable drawing board.



We're doing this in the car when she requests "restaurant" and "people." I spell them out, and then she frowns.

"Der's not a O in 'people,'" she says.

"I know it doesn't sound like it, the way we pronounce it, but there's an O right after the E," I say, amused.

She considers this for a nanosecond before disagreeing.

"I sorry, mama, but... Das not da troof."

She is so sure of herself - and I am so gullible - that for a moment I rethink it. Wait - what am I doing? I'm the 198-something spelling bee champion of C.J. Hicks Elementary!

"Dude," I start - because that's how all the classy moms address their children these days - "I know how to do one thing above average, and that's spell. Everything else... I'm pretty much just faking it. So can you listen to me on this one thing, please?"

"... if you say so, Mom."

Gee. Thanks.


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment