Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, January 08, 2010

Public Speaking: I Does it

Friday, January 08, 2010 By

Augusta, Ga. - So I was flattered to be considered important enough to speak at the Centennial Celebration of the historic Partridge Inn, and to contribute something to the hotel's time capsule, to be opened in 100 years. It's SUCH an amazing property, with 5-star service, and yet it's a very comfortable place to relax. There's no other property like it in the world, I imagine.

But I was the next-to-last speaker, and I was sure that I would have nothing interesting to say.

"What am I going to say?" I asked their photographer and PR rep. "Partridge Inn good. I like it. Ugh."

"You'll think of something," she said. "You know: beautiful historic property, blah blah blah, congratulations."

"You think the 12 speakers before me won't hit on that idea?" I asked.

"You're right. You're screwed."

Awesome.

I thought about saying simply, "My husband and I spent our honeymoon night herer, but I'm not telling you about THAT. Here's my stuff. Hope ya like it."

In the end, I came up with something generic, but I think it worked.

Text of speech:
Thank u for inviting The Metro Spirit & Metro Augusta Parent Magazine, and congratulations on your centennial anniversary. The Metro Spirit is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, and we were proud to partner wth The Partridge Inn for our Metro's Best party this year. The party that night was a quintessential Partridge Inn event: classy yet comfortable, and drew hundreds of people to this historic property.

I'm an Atlanta transplant, and I can attest that no property in that city inspires such feelings of goodwill and even homesickness. My husband and I spent the first day of our family life at the Partridge Inn. We considered no other choices.

(Something about the property being pretty at night, as I lost my place in the speech)

Because the Partridge Inn is the heart of the Augusta community, the larger family of our city. And for that reason, we donate copies of our magazine, Metro Augusta Parent Magazine, which has chronicled family life in Augusta for 10 years. We also include a copy of The Metro Spirit, to assist in adding historic perspective to this time capsule.


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment