Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Things a Preschooler Cannot Understand

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 By

AUGUSTA, GA - Emmie came home from school on Friday with tears in her eyes.

"You not gib me any lemonade in my lunch, mama!"

"But, doodle, we talked about this. You were going to buy chocolate milk at school."

"No! I can't get chocolate milk! Dey said it's in da peeyooter, but I can't hab it!"

"HOW much money did you put in her account?" my husband asked, his teeth gritted together.

"Sixty. But, honey, I'm sure it was just a mistake."

"There are all kinds of children who get free lunches every day. They can give her a carton of milk. I am going to call that school on Monday. My child WILL have milk."

"Okay, Norma Rae. You take care of that."

He called me shortly after talking to her teacher. It seems our child doesn't understand the idea of credit.

Here's what Emerson knows about money: quarters buy bubble gum, and "da blue money and dollars card" makes twenties appear like magic.

But apparently she skipped the pre-pay aspect in her comprehension of how our monetary system works.

When she went through the line to pick out her milk, her teacher said that she started crying because she didn't have any "money-and-dollars." Even after they told her that she could have the milk, she was afraid to drink it because she hasn't paid for it. Obviously, we have some 'splainin' to do.

"Even if she didn't have any money," her teacher laughed. "We would still make sure that she got some milk."

Of course they would. We should never have doubted that.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment