Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Have Always Depended on the Kindness and Unrequested Advice of Strangers

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 By

AUGUSTA, GA - So, in case you haven't heard, Emmie was bitten by a pit bull. And there has been no end of drama since then.

"Ooooh, what happened to your face?" strangers croon over Emerson.

"Um, I wuz talkin' to a liddle girl, and den her dog comed up and put his claws on de fence and den he bite me in da face," Em replies, with plenty of drama and sometimes a little growl

"I'd have killed that dog," comes the inevitable reply.

Yes. We know. You'd have grabbed yer gun and shot the dog, then attended to your child.

That's not what my husband chose to do. He chose to ignore the dog and tend to our bleeding, screaming child.

And I'm proud of him for it. He exercised an inhuman amount of restraint in letting the legal system run its course. Yes, he was angry. Yes, he made some statements with which I didn't agree. But on the whole, he has acted with more control than, at least by their own statements, most people would in a similar situation.

And that commitment to calm and control has been a great comfort to me.

Besides, I already warned him that if he ever goes to jail for something stupid like that, I'm not bailing him out. Hee!


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment