Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, January 16, 2009

Facebook Marketing Reaches a New Demographic

AUGUSTA, GA. - Put away your hankies, people, I'm not leaving The Metro Spirit or Augusta Parent. But an opportunity arose locally that was too good to refrain from exploring its possibilities. I was excited by the idea, but unsure what to actually expect once the interviews started. I got three interviews in and... you ever have one of those moments in time when all is revealed to you? I had one.

When the HR director waxed poetic about how "in touch" these people were with the 21st century, I was excited. I thought, "Here's an opportunity to contribute to a great organization, and to learn from some real experts in interactive and e-marketing."

Then a man asked me "How can we utilize Facebook to our benefit?" So I pitched the idea of a branded, interactive sports game on the site. He shook his head with a slight frown and said, "I understand that you can create pages around certain topics." I replied that that topical pages are available, and there are several that currently talk about the organization he represented. And he said, "Right, and people can choose to become fans of the site we put up. It could inspire people to get involved."

Someone just thought: "Yes! That is a great idea!" That is the wrong response. The correct response is: "No. They're just going to click "Become a fan" and never think about it again."

I just responded, "It would appeal to a younger demographic and if utilized regularly, it could generate some interest." But, I wanted to add, it's not like you're a retail organization or someone with regular public events. What good would will it really do you? The CEO of Morgan Stanley isn't going to "friend" you on Facebook!

What do you think? Was I missing an opportunity there? Who has ideas about marketing through Facebook? I'd love to hear them!

0 comments :

Post a Comment