Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Dream of Every Woman of a Certain Age

Emmie won't turn four, really, until Wednesday, but we had her party yesterday, and let her think it was her birthday. Because it's not like she understands time, anyway.

All day, she would randomly shriek at friends and strangers alike"ISS MY BIRFDAY! I FOUR YEARS OLD!" sometimes adding, "DAS MEAN I'M A BIG GIRL! AN' I'M A PRINCESS!" And everyone would nod and laugh.

She was excited about the party, not the presents. She and her little friends rampaged through Chuck E. Cheese for two hours, and then she stayed behind with my sister for another three hours while I went home and tried to sleep my sinus infection away (didn't work).

I expected her to sleep through the night, because of all the activity. But at 5 a.m., she came trudging to my bedside, sniffling and crying.

"Mama? Mama!"
"Yes, sweetie?"
"I'm sad..."
"Why, honey?"
"'Cause I turn back to free!"
"I don't understand..."
"I turn back to free years old!"

Oh, would that we all could wake up a year younger...

0 comments :

Post a Comment