Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, November 13, 2014

I called looking for a doll and you'll never guess what happened next... actually, you probably will

Thursday, November 13, 2014 By


AUGUSTA, GA - My daughter has a very intense best-friendship. I love her little friend almost like my own child, and I'm glad the two of them have such a beautiful relationship. They're very caring and polite to one another, have a lot of fun, and make a lot of messes that they both help clean up. K recently turned 11, and I didn't have enough warning to order her gift online and have it arrive in time for her party.

I was desperate to find the doll she wanted. But I didn't realize it was a fool's errand. K latched onto Bratzilla dolls at a time when the company is apparently pulling them from the shelves, since they never did very well against Monster High dolls. I tried to find her the one she wanted, and couldn't. They're pretty much only on eBay. So I made a last-ditch effort to call around town to see if anyone had it.

A quick summary: Know what kind of customer service you can expect when you visit a retailer. For today's purposes, Target wins customer service, Walmart is pretty much what you expect. Toys R Us was a surprise. But if my experiences are indicative of the status quo, how the heck is Kmart even still in business?



Toys R Us, Wrightsboro Road

Number of rings before someone picks up: 4

TRU: "Thank you for calling Toys R Us. My name is L, how may I help you?"

Me: "Hi, L. My name is Stacey. My daughter's best friend is having a birthday, and I'm having trouble finding the doll she wants. I wonder if you might have it in stock."

TRU: "Sure, just a second and I'll look for you." [puts me on hold.]

Me [talking to no one, since I'm now on hold]: "But... I didn't tell you what the toy was..."

Total running call time: 5 minutes 27 seconds.

TRU: [picks up phone, puts phone back on hold again without acknowledging me]

Total running call time: 10 minutes 49 seconds

TRU: "Hi, ma'am, you were holding for the tablet, right?"

Me: "No, ma'am, I'm looking for the Bratzilla Meygana Broomstix doll."

TRU: "You're not holding for the tablet?"

Me: "No, ma'am, I never got a chance to tell the representative what I was looking for."

TRU: "So, what are you looking for?"

Me: "The Bratzilla Meygana Broomstix doll."

TRU: "What is it again?"

Me: "It's the Bratzilla Meygana M-e-y-g-a-n-a Broomstix B-r-o-o-m-s-t-i-x doll."

TRU: "Okay, let me check."

Me: "Thank you."

Total running call time: 13 minutes 54 seconds.

TRU [a new voice picks up the phone]: "Thank you for holding. What were you holding for?"

Me: "Um... The Bratzilla Meygana Broomstix doll?"

TRU: "Okay, hold please."

Total running call time: 14 minutes and 40 seconds.

TRU [first rep returns]: "Ma'am? We did check and we do not have that doll."

Me: "Thank you very much for checking. Have a nice day."

TRU: "You, too."

Total running call time: 14 minutes and 50 seconds.















Target - Evans location

Me: Number of rings before someone picks up: 4

Target: "Target Evans, may I help you find something?"

Me: "Yes, please, I'm looking for the Bratzilla Meygana Broomstix doll."

Target: "The - what? Is this a Bratz doll?"

Me: [laughing]: "Yeah, it's kind of a take-off of the Monster High dolls. It's super dumb, but my daughter really wants to get it for her friend's birthday."

Target: "Okay, let me check for you."

Total running call time: 3 minutes, 27 seconds.

Target: "Ma'am, I looked in our system, and none of the Bratz dolls are in it, so I don't think we have it."

Me: "You don't carry any Bratz dolls?" [My first indication that the dolls weren't being sold anymore.]

Target: "No, ma'am."

Me: "Wow, okay, well, thank you so much for checking."

Target: "You're very welcome."

Total running call time: 3 minutes, 36 seconds.










Target - Augusta Exchange location

Number of rings before someone picks up: 1

Target: "Target Evans, may I help you find something?"

Me: "Hi, thanks. I'm hoping that you might have the Bratzilla dolls."

Target: "Sure, one moment."

Target [apparently I was transferred, but the call was answered immediately]: "Toys, may I help you find something?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am, please. I'm looking for the Bratzilla Meygana Broomstix doll. Do you carry it?"

Target: "Let me check in the system. I am looking to see if we still carry the Bratz dolls, because I haven't seen any around in a while."

Me: "Thank you for checking."

Target: "Yeah, the system is showing that it is online-only. We don't carry them in the store."

Me: "Thank you for checking. Have a great day!"

Total running call time: 2 minutes 21 seconds.










Walmart - Bobby Jones Expressway

Number of rings before someone picks up: 2

Walmart: "Bobby Jones Walmart."

Me: "Hi, how are you?"

Walmart: "......"

Me: "... okay, I was hoping that someone could help me a find a particular doll. Do you have Bratzilla dolls?"

Walmart: "Toys doesn't have a phone. I'll have to transfer you to electronics. When they answer, ask them to get toys for you."

Me: "Yes, ma'am."

Number of rings before someone picks up in electronics: I lost count.

Electronics: "Electronics."

Me: "Hi, how you are?"

Electronics: ".... fine."

Me: "I was transferred, and they asked me to ask you to get toys on the phone."

Electronics: "Okay, one moment."

Total running call time: 2 minutes and 31 seconds.

Toys: "Hello?"

Me: "Hi, is this toys?"

Toys: "Yeah."

Me: "Hi, I was hoping you could help me find a toy. My daughter's friend wants a Bratzilla doll for her birthday, but I haven't been able to find any. Do you carry them?"

Toys: "Bratzilla?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am. They're a take-off of the Monster High dolls, but they're made by Bratz."

Toys: "Yeah, I know. But I don't think I do. Let me check."

Me: "Thank you very much."

Total running call time: 4 minutes and 27 seconds

Toys: "Ma'am? We had them at one time, but we don't anymore. Did you try online?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am, it looks like they may not be making them anymore."

Toys: "Yeah, I think the Monster High dolls kind of took over. But if you find one, you might set it aside, because it will probably be a collector's item in the future."

Me: "Okay, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!"

Toys: "You're welcome."

Total running call time: 5 minutes and 45 seconds, with a shout-out to Toys for their product knowledge and friendly advice.









Number of rings before someone picks up: 1

Walmart: "Thank you for calling Walmart. How may I direct your call?"

Me: "Hi, I was hoping to speak to someone in toys, please."

Walmart: "Just one moment please."

Total running call time: 3 minutes 7 seconds.

Walmart [picking up from hold]: "They comin', ma'am."

Me: "Oh, thank you."

Walmart [puts me back on hold]

Total running call time: 4 minutes 59 seconds

Walmart: "Electronics."

Me: "Oh, hi, sorry, I was holding for toys...?"

Walmart: "Whatcha need, I cover toys, too. And the photo lab."

Me: "Oh, gosh, that's a lot. Thanks for your help. I was looking for a Bratzilla doll. Do you happen to carry them?"

Walmart: "Bratzilla?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am. They're like Bratz and Monster High dolls put together. We're looking for Meygana Broomstix, but if you have any Bratz dolls, I'll take what I can get."

Walmart: "Okay, lemme go check."

Total running call time: 8 minutes and 5 seconds.

Walmart: "Ma'am? I only have one, it's the Switch a Witch doll, where you make your own. It's on clearance for $13."

Me: "Uhh... hold on one second, pretty please." (I do a quick Google search [total time, 15 seconds] "No, I don't think that's something she would want. But thank you very much for checking for me. I really appreciate it."

Walmart: "Alright, you have a great day. And good luck!"

Total running call time: 9 minutes 44 seconds.









Number of rings before someone picks up: 2

Kmart: "Kmart, this is S. How may I help you?"

Me: "Hi, S. My name is Stacey, and I'm looking for a doll. I was hoping Kmart might carry it. Can you help me?"

Kmart: "Sure, can you hold one second?"

Me: "Sure, thanks."

Total running call time: At an even 20 minutes, I hung up and tried again.


Number of rings before someone picks up: 11

Kmart: "Kmart, this is S. How may I help you?"

Me: "Hi, S., I called 20 minutes ago looking for a doll. I was placed on hold. No one ever picked up. Is there someone there who can help me?"

Kmart: "Sure, I can help you. What doll are you looking for?"

Me: "Thank you. I'm looking for the Bratzilla dolls? You may not have them. They seem to be out everywhere else."

Kmart: "Ooohhh.... I haven't seen any of those today, but let me go check for you."

Me: "Thank you so much."

Total running call time: 18 minutes and 33 seconds.

Kmart: "Who are you holding for?"

Me: "I long ago forgot. I was holding for someone who was looking for a particular doll."

Kmart: "And no one picked up?"

Me: "Well, I called and was put on hold for 20 minutes. Then I called back and -"

Kmart [interrupting]: "Let me get someone to help you."

Me: "I..."

Total running call time: 20 minutes 48 seconds.

Kmart: "Toys, how may I help you?"

Me: "Hi, I was hoping you might help me find a Bratzilla doll?"

Kmart: "Brat.... zilla?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am. Bratzilla."

Total running call time: 21 minutes, 23 seconds.

Kmart: "Hello, ma'am? We don't have any. We have a lot of the Monster High dolls, but no Bratzilla dolls."

Me: "Okay, thank you very much for checking. You have a great day."

Kmart: "You, too."

Total running call time: 21 minutes, 46 seconds.



0 comments :

Post a Comment