Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Grandma was a Suffragette

AUGUSTA, GA. - "Remember: We have to vote today," I remind Scott.

"Oh, I already voted. You should vote, too."

"Of course, I will."

We discuss how he voted, and how I might vote. I have an aversion to discussing my voting persuasions with him before my ballot is cast. It irritates the crap out of him. But he'll badger me until I agree with him - or pretend to. I want to maintain am illusion that I make my own decisions, when everyone knows that Austin Rhodes tells us both what to think. (That was sarcasm, in case you missed it)

"Tricia will never forgive you if you don't vote for SPLOST," he grins, trying to persuade me to one side, even when he doesn't know what side I've taken. I decide to remain infuriatingly neutral.

"Well, you know, there's a reason we use secret ballots in America, in case you've forgotten one of the finer point of our democracy."

He rolls his eyes at me and goes back to the news.

Hey, he'd be bored with someone more pliable.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

0 comments :

Post a Comment