Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Friday, May 20, 2005

Holy Terror

Emerson has been possessed by a screaming banshee. It’s hard to calm her down and she’s been skipping her naps. I spent the morning walking her and rocking her. She had plenty to eat, she was dry and not too hot or cold. At that point, baby books say to put her down in her crib and let her cry, soothing her every 15 minutes. It’s supposed to be supportive but allow you to keep your sanity.

I can’t do it. I can’t stand her lying in bed hysterical and alone. I decided to bathe her.

JACKPOT!

The motion of the warm water pouring over her shoulders made her pause just long enough to break the cycle. She lay in the sling, feet trailing in the water, whining softly and looking up at me with a pleading expression. I made up a song about oceans, boats, dolphins, and mermaids as I massaged her with chamomile-scented baby soap.

Gradually, she relaxed and began looking at things around her. The dish scrubbing wand. The shiny chrome faucet. The silver creamer on the windowsill. She looked up and me, gummed a smile, and sighed as I poured warm water from a pitcher<> over her tummy. She yawned suddenly and her eyes blinked heavily up at me.

I continued pouring water over her. Tiny rivulets skittered down her back. She poked out her tummy and ripples of water looked like seashore waves crashing over sand as seen from high above. It pooled in her belly button and trickled down her ribs. I kissed her tummy, her cheeks, her head, her feet. She yawned and sighed again. I filled up the bathtub with warm water and watched as she relaxed and her eyes closed.

She breathed slowly and deeply. Not wanting to disturb her, or leave her alone in the water (of course), I tried to lift the tub of water with her in it. Not happening. I couldn’t leave her there, so I chanced it and lifted her into her new hooded towel from Natalya. She stirred. I carried her to the changing table and diapered her quickly. Her eyes opened. I froze. All unseeing, they closed again.

I covered her with her towel and let her sleep on the table, knowing the straps and high sides would keep her from falling. And I sat in the chair in perfect silence with my book for a blissful half hour while she napped.

0 comments :

Post a Comment