Re-launched, but still slightly under construction. :-)

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Dunlap's disease

Thursday, December 16, 2004 By , 3 comments

At last Wednesday's doctor visit, the OB detected an irregular heartbeat. Since Scott has a heart murmur, it was cause for concern. So I returned on Monday for three fun-filled hours of things shoved into my body (hey.. that's how I got this way!). What I don't understand is why doctors won't listen to me. I'm not claiming to have some preternatural control over my body, but - I mean, it is MY body.

For example, the doctor was trying to listen to the baby's heartbeat and couldn't find it.
Doctor (smearing jelly on my belly): Sorry about it being cold.
Me: That's cool. (heh. pun.)
Doctor (moving the wand over my belly): Hmmm.... (furrows brow)
She can't find the heart beat.
I wait.
She searches the same small area to the left of my belly button. I'm not one to tell doctors how to do their jobs, but...

Me: She likes to hang out over here.
I point to the right side of my belly, under my ribs.
Doctor (still searching same spot on the left): MmmHmm....
I wait.
Me: Really, I think she's over here.
Doctor (irritated look crossing her face): Well, let's see.
The second she puts the monitor where I pointed, the baby's heartbeat comes over the speaker. Her eyebrows go up.
Doctor: You know your baby!

How can I not know where a 9-pound mass of elbows and knees are smashing against my body?

3 comments :

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I've had four children, and after the first two, when I knew what to expect - but doctor's never listen - they think they know better than their patients. I find nurses don't listen much either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, cute. Makes sense though... it's not like you could forget about another human being occupied in your abdomen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just searching blogs randomly and happened upon yours. You're a great writer-- very captivating!

    Best wishes with the rest of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete